Re: No 3D acceleration for Radeon X1250 (RS690)?

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 23:23, Slim Joe <slimjoe2k8@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the onboard graphics of my Asus M2A-VM
> motherboard, which is identified as a Radeon X1200
> (RS690). XVideo works with the default open-source drivers,
> although there's noticeable tearing in the video.
>
> However, I cannot get hardware 3D acceleration to
> work. I get the following console message when running
> glxgears/info:
>
> unknown chip id 0x791e, can't guess.
> libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
> libGL error: InitDriver failed
> libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
>
> I have the following X-related libraries installed (output
> provided by filtering the output of dpkg through the filter
> 'drm|mesa|radeon'):
>
> libdrm2 [2.3.1-2]
> libgl1-mesa-dev [7.0.3-6]
> libgl1-mesa-dri [7.0.3-6]
> libgl1-mesa-glx [7.0.3-6]
> libglu1-mesa [7.0.3-6]
> libglu1-mesa-dev [7.0.3-6]
> mesa-common-dev [7.0.3-6]
> mesa-utils [7.0.3-6]
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon [1:6.9.0-1+lenny4]
> xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd [1.2.1-2]
>
> Is this a configuration problem fixable by placing the
> correct entry in xorg.conf? Or is this a known limitation
> of the current radeon driver? Note that I'm running without
> an xorg.conf at the moment.

Recent version of Radeon and Radeon HD should be able to
do 3D on RS690. I think Radeon 6.9.0  and RadeonHD 1.2.1
are recent enough. Mesa 7.0.3  is also enough, I think.

What version is your xorg? It may be that it still needs
the dri option in xorg.conf.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers