Re: installing kpackage manager in lenny

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 08:38:31 -0500, raman narasimhan wrote:
> tried using kpackage manager in my newly upgraded lenny system.. got the
> following error when i tried installing smartpm by using package search:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> The following packages are BROKEN:
>   smartpm
>   python-pexpect{a} python-pycurl{a} python-rpm{a}
> The following packages will be REMOVED:

[...]

> 0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 75 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 1113kB of archives. After unpacking 84.8MB will be freed.
>   smartpm: Depends: python (< 2.5) but 2.5.2-3 is installed.

The smartpm package is currently not part of Lenny. It seems that it was
removed at some point from testing and then missed the freeze deadline
for Lenny. (I did not check the details, though.)

You cannot install the Etch smartpm package on a Lenny system because
the old smartpm package requires python 2.4 while Lenny's default python
version is 2.5.

You can try to add Sid to your sources list and install the new version
of smartpm (compatible with pyhton 2.5) from there. (I don't use smartpm
myself, therefore I have no idea how well the Sid version works.)

          Florian   |