Re: 64-bit Flash Player

2008/11/28 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> On 11/28/08 10:11, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> 2008/11/22 Girish Kulkarni <girish@hri.res.in>:
>>>
>>> Has anyone had any success in using the new 64-bit Adobe Flash player
>>> for Linux on Debian? --
>>
>> Yeah. I put it my local ~/.mozilla/plugins directory though. Piece of
>> shit segfaulted within the first ten seconds of use bringing down
>> Debian Fireslug with it, so I erased it and went back to swfdec.
>>
>> Oh, Adobe, why do you keep making such horrible and non-free software
>> for your own formats?
>
> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
>    An alpha version of 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 10 for Linux
>
> It's *alpha* grade software.  That's why it segfaulted!!!

Whatever.

If you want me to beta test, gimme source and debug symbols so that I
can participate in the testing too. I'm not your 64-bit betatester
monkey if you're not giving me any code in return.

Fwiw, 32-bit also segfaults, although admittedly less frequently.

Crap software for their own (acceptable) formats. PDF and Flash are
both fine formats and have many valid uses. Often people say they hate
PDF, but what they really hate is Acrobat Reader and its long load
times and intrusive embedding into the web browser. I hate that flash
player segfaults and brings down my browser with it.

Yes, gnash and swfdec haven't implemented all of Flash yet, but
they're steadily getting better, they do at least the important bit,
which is flv, and they have many enhancements in their user interface
over Adobe's flash player. And I can hack them.

Adobe, I am glad you give us specs for your formats. Thank you for
that, even if the Flash spec was mostly a symbolic gesture since most
or all of it had already been largely reverse engineered. I am not
glad you make crappy software for those formats and everyone uses it.

- Jordi G. H.