gnome-terminal application launcher and wget background running

Hello,

I am trying out the application launcher in gnome. If I create an
application launcher that starts with a wget command (while /not/ using
the "-b" option), it starts off okay: the gnome-terminal opens and wget
starts working.

However, if I close that gnome terminal, wget appears to continue
downloading running in the background. Isn't wget supposed to close when
the terminal window is closed?

I then tried the same thing in KDE where konsole opens. In this case
though closing the konsole also quits wget. So this works okay.

So on the surface it appears to be a problem in Gnome ... or a feature.

I have posted this on Ubuntu list as well when I tried this yesterday on
a Ubuntu machine. But the responses have not been, well, satisfactory. I
then tried this on my Debian machine hoping it would be different
(perhaps it was a bug); no luck. Searching google also did not give much
information regarding this backgrounding of wget in a launcher.

Any tips how this can be explained or where the problem is?

Thanks.

ever having been read.