Re: Debian Boot Hangs at Swapfile Swap

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 07:15:53PM -0800, mond wrote:
> I have a tiny problem about my debian/sid. When I boot my debian, it
> hangs at activating swapfile swap ...done.
>
> Here is what I get from the screen:
>
> Mounting local filesystems ... done
> Activating swapfile swap .. done
>
> It just hangs here. Then I press "ctrl-c"(sometimes, twice). The boot
> continues to set up network. And everything is fine.
>
> This is very annoying. I googled a while ending with no clue. I also
> check the file moutall.sh in /etc/init.d/. I think maybe something
> wrong with that. But I don't know how to modify it.

Its not hanging at activating swap, since it says "done".  Its hanging
on the next command.  Look in /etc/rcS.d, the directory that contains
numbered symlinks to /etc/init.d used for the initial startup.

On my i386 system, the script after S35mountall.sh is S36discover and
then S36mountall-bootclean.sh.

You can edit /etc/default/rcS and change
VERBOSE=no
VERBOSE=yes

to get more output of some commands the scripts run.

Don't modify the initscripts themselves.  They should work.  If they
don't, a whole lot of people would be complaining.

Also, check the /var/log/boot file.  Some messages go here instead of
the console, that is if you have bootlog enabled in
/etc/default/bootlogd.

Doug.