Re: x11vnc java error

| If I run x11vnc as follows:
|
|     x11vnc -tightfilexfer -ssl -usepw -ncache 10
|
| and then try to connect with firefox to https://localhost:5900 I get the
| following error:
|
|     RFB 003.008
|
| I'm thinking this has something to do with a wrong or missing .jar file,
| but I don't want to report a bug if this is a PEBKAC situation. Am I
| doing something wrong here?

In general, you need to enable serving the java applet via http explicitly.

The easiest way is to add the option '-http'.  That way x11vnc tries to
locate the correct jar file directory automatically (i.e. relative to itself).

If that doesn't find the jar file location use the '-httpdir' option, e.g.

	-httpdir /path/to/classes/ssl

On debian they stopped shipping the x11vnc java applet jar files a year or
so.  They are free to start shipping them again:

Until they do, I recommend you download an x11vnc source tarball, e.g.
x11vnc-0.9.6.tar.gz, unpack it and supply this:

	-httpdir /path/to/x11vnc-0.9.6/classes/ssl

Some misc notes:

	None of the x11vnc java applets support TightVNC filetransfer.
	The UltraViewerSSL.jar and SignedUltraViewerSSL.jar ones support
        UltraVNC filexfer. (e.g. https://localhost:5900/ultrasigned.vnc)

	With '-ncache 10' the java applet in your web browser will
	probably run out of memory (unless the screen is small, -ncache
	10 will require 50-100MB on both sides).  So drop the ncache
	value or don't use the option.