Re: advice on cloning system

On 2008-11-27 07:03 +0100, tom arnall wrote:

> At the bottom of this post is a description of my last attempt
> at 'cloning' my old system to my new machine. I put 'cloning' in
> quotes because it's not really that, otherwise I could just
> use 'dd'. The procedure left me with a system that seemed fine
> until I tried to run kdm. The system did this without complaint
> but gave only a blank screen on Terminal 7.

This seems to be a problem with X, not KDM.  Have you looked for error
messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?  If your new system has a different
graphics card than your old, you may have to adjust /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and/or install the needed xserver-xorg-video package (the latter only if
xserver-xorg-video-all is not installed).

Sven