Re: Erase cache, clean registry in Linux

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 13:20, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> Imho it's better to design software so that it doesn't waste
>> resources. I probably haven't used 99.99% of the 350MB thumbnails in
>> more than two years, but now I'm supposed to spend $500+ on getting
>> new disks for crap like that? I don't think so. But if you want to
>> give me the money for it, you're welcome :)
>
> 350 MB? I have not cleaned my thumbnails since early 2007 or so
> and I had 1.6 GB. And my /home disk is only 120 GB, but I still

I hadn't paid much attention to ~/.thumbnails till I went through the
posts here. Here is what I have:

$> du --exclude=.. -sc ./\.* | sort -g | tail -n 10
24016   ./.openoffice.org2
24044   ./.galeon
61268   ./.mozilla-thunderbird
72768   ./.evolution
81692   ./.java
213608  ./.bcast
372112  ./.mozilla
1050520 ./.thumbnails
12400696        ./.
14369932        total

So my ~/.thumbnails is using 1.1 GB of memory. I am thinking of deleting
this data unless there is some practical use for this. As others have
posted, they do not really any different with or without this data so I
am not sure whether the dir is really useful.

ever having been read.