Re: /var/log growing rapidly

* s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> 26.11.2008
> Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com>:

> >  99.999% of the lines were comments.. except for this:
> >  # The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility.  To use it,
> >  #    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
> >  	*.=notice;*.=warn	|/dev/xconsole
> >
> >  so... what is xconsole?
>
> A very useful app if you can get it to work.  It puts a small window
> on your display that scrolls /var/log/messages constantly in real
> time.  It's very nice if you're changing something and want to know
> the immediate effect it has.
>
> In practice, it's very difficult to get X to let root put a root owned
> process on a user's display, and once you get it going, the next
> Debian release breaks your tweak, at least in my experience.

Hello s,

you can also put your user in the group *adm* which has _only_ the
rights to _read_ logfiles in /var/log and to _read_ /dev/xconsole, but
no more. I don't see a disadvantage by doing this. And this way
everything works right even after a new release or updates of your
current system.

Just my 2¢
Michael

--