Re: USB mount with multiple users broken - SOLVED

I think I've resolved this problem.
The root of the issue is indeed gnome-volume-manager. Looking at the sources
(src/manager.c) reveals the following

--
#ifdef ENABLE_MULTIUSER
        guint32 result = 0;

i.e. gnome-volume-manager knows how to ask consolekit whether the user is
on the active console. However, the Debian gnome-volume-manager is compiled
with the --disable-multiuser flag, which (surprise) disables this highly
useful
functionality.

Now, I don't have the faintest clue why this should be so. But installing
consolekit and
recompiling gnome-volume-manager without the flag has finally fixed the
multiuser
hotplug problem for me, i.e. the user at the active console gets ownership
of the device.

Detailed steps below, if you need them:

Remove the old gnome-volume-manager (may not be necessary):
#dpkg --force -P gnome-volume-manager

Install consolekit:
#apt-get install consolekit

Install volume manager sources and build dependencies:
#apt-get install build-essential devscripts fakeroot
#apt-get source gnome-volume-manager
#apt-get build-dep gnome-volume-manager

cd to the newly created source directory (gnome-volume-manager-2.22.1),
edit debian/rules and remove/comment out the line that says:

DEB_CONFIGURE_EXTRA_FLAGS := --disable-multiuser

Run 'debuild -uc -us' to compile the package, which is created in the parent
directory.
Then install it with dpkg.

Logout and login all users, or kill and restart all gnome-volume-manager
processes.
And hopefully, there is no more hotplug trouble for you.

PS. I read that the automounting facililty will soon move to Nautilus, which
probably
will reintroduce this bug ;)

yours,
Jussi