Re: USB mount with multiple users broken (hal and consolekit)

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 01:09:49PM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Tue November 25 2008, Jussi Nurminen wrote:
> > Now, I thought consolekit was supposed to resolve this by letting hal
> > know about the active session, but apparently it still does not work.
> > Is everybody else having the same problem? It's a pain for our lab
> > with multiple-user workstations.
>
> we beat this issue to death a few months back. I had the same problem with
> multiple users & multiple USB sticks.. it just doesn't work. I could never
> change it so my wife could log in, insert a stick, and write to it. It seemed
> like I was always the owner. I run Lenny, GDM, my wife runs KDE and I run
> gnome.
> I tried adding a UUID to fstab, no dice.  I gave up.

Just don't do the auto mount thing.  Do it the old fashioned way with an
entry in fstab for the device in question and the 'user' option.  Then
you plug in the stick, open a term, tail dmesg to see what device it is,
then mount it's mount point.

Doug.