Re: Erase cache, clean registry in Linux

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 09:03:59AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Manuel Gomez wrote:
>
> >> 2008/11/25 Manuel Gomez <mgdpz1@gmail.com>
> >>         Hi, i would like to know a tool or software to erase the
> >>         cache, clean
> >>         the registry...
>
> > I am thinking in "clean" Linux, i don't know how its done.
> You're approaching Linux with a Windows mentality.
>
> Whereas there are some "cleaning" functions you can do, for the most
> part, it's not something you'll need to worry about like you do in Windows.
>

> But just to satisfy your curiosity:

> Whenever you reboot, your /tmp directory will be cleaned for you
> automagically; you don't need to worry about this issue, unless you
> never reboot, and even then, you pretty much don't need to worry about
> this issue. On Linux, it's a non-issue.
>
> Firefox and other apps may have their own caches; you'd clean them out
> just like you would in Firefox on Windows, via the menus in Firefox itself.

Konqueror (and perhaps all of KDE, I don't use it) keeps things in
/var/tmp for some reason (why not just the home directory, I don't
know).

Manuel,

The thing to ask yourself is "what is the concern on windows that
cleaning the register accomplishes, and is this an issue on Linux?".
I haven't run windows since 3.1 (pre-internet) so I don't know anything
about cleaning a registery so I don't know what threat you are trying to
mitigate.  Are you aware of unix fundamentals like file permissions?

Doug.