Re: Xorg not starting fully on Thinkpad T21

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 02:21:55PM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Richard Möhn wrote:
>> But now to the problem:
>> As far as I remember, I wrote in my graphics settings, that the card
>> has to get a fixed size of RAM instead of doing that automatically. In
>> addition I changed the driver from "savage" to "vesa" to get rid of
>> the fancy cursor.
>
> You don't remember how much ram it wants, do you? Or is it mostly
> immaterial so long as it is defined in xorg.conf?

I've used 8 MB.  But I don't think, that it is relevant.

> Using the vesa driver did seem to make the booting more reliable, but it
> also restricted me to uncomfortably low resolutions.

Does it restrict you or are this just the settings?  I also had too
low resolutions and fixed it later in some way.

> I have just found the thinkwiki page
> (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/S3_Savage_IX8) on this adaptor. Not
> entirely sure why I didn't before, though it doesn't seem to cover my
> problem, or mention how much memory it wants.

Have you set the settings as mentioned there?

As I write this it occurs to me, that I also had turned of dri and
glx support.  You could experiment on turning them on after you got
the whole working, nevertheless.

With the best wishes

Richard
--