From: Abel McClendon <hcmmac@hosscomm.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Tuesday, 25 November, 2008 2:47:14 PM
Subject: Re: Shorewall with Debian

     On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:50:38 -0800 (PST)
         Phillipus Gunawan <mr_phillipus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I got a problem setting up Shorewall under Debian, hope if someone can guide
> me here...
>
> Problem 1
>
> I install Debian with eth2 plugged
>
> When Im using eth2, I can log in to my box (using webmin) to configure the
> debian either using 10.1.1.1 or 10.1.1.4 address remotely from other hosts,
> I can ping other host (e.g 10.1.1.5). But when I use eth2, I cant ping or do
> anything, the ping result from Debian: From 10.1.1.4 Host Unreachable
>
> What mistake I did? Why I can't use eth1 connected with other hosts?
>

> Problem 2
>
> PPPoE up and running, I can ping any web address from Debian (e.g.
> www.yahoo.com) But Im not able to make other host (e.g. 10.1.1.5) connect to
> internet via gateway on eth1 nor eth2
>
> Again, ignoring the use of eth2 and I can configure eth1 to talk with other
> hosts (problem 1 solved), how I can make Shorewall working to share the
> internet? Or, just using eth2, what mistake on my Shorewall conf?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated
> Thanks in advance
>
> All configurations are pasted below
>

> Shorewall version 4.0.14
> Debian Etch
> Webmin Version 1.441
>
> eth0 -> 10.1.1.1 connected to a router, act as gateway for other hosts
> eth1 -> 10.1.1.4 connected to wireless router
> eth2 -> connected to adsl bridged modem, working OK using RP-PPPoE,
> outputing ppp0 with correct ip from TPG

1. Check /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf and make sure
IP_FORWARDING=Off is really
IP_FORWARDING=On

reading through all the shorewall-doc package helped me tremendously.
admittedly it took me a couple times to get it right.
My setup is 3 nic as well though I have two 'net' and one loc.

aptitude install shorewall-doc
;-) good luck.