Re: [OT] Steganography [WAS] Re: Joiner for Linux

Celejar wrote:
Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
There are even tools such as steghide for those who want to do things
as useless as hiding information inside an image.

I'm curious; why is that necessarily useless?  I now that many
steganography methods are broken, in the sense that there are methods to
detect their use and possibly even recover the hidden information, but
why is the concept inherently useless?

Not totally or inherently useless, but not very practical. You would still need encryption as well as information hiding, so the only use for it is to try and hide the fact that you are hiding something. That is very hard to do. You may thank your friendly neighborhood statistician for that.

Mark Allums