Re: playing multimedia over my local network - how?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 5:04 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

I am looking for a setup to play movies and music and to browse photos
over my local home network (mostly Debian, one Ubuntu machine, sometimes
a Windows machine on the wireless network). How do I start doing that?
My objective is to have all multimedia on one disk connected to a
machine (USB, firewire or SATA, not fixed yet).

>From a little search, I have seen somebody mention NFS for which I
apparently need 2.6.27 kernel (not in Testing yet, so that option is
out). The other option seems to be to stream video -- is this really
necessary in this situation? And it won't help much with photo browsing

Mostly I connect between different machine via SSH. So I can open an X
display. That gives the video but no sound on my local machine.

I have also samba setup on one machine which at present mounts a disk
which has songs and photos on it. However, I haven't yet found a way to
play the songs over samba. Also, by favorite photo browser is gqview but
it also doesn't appear to understand samba.

Thanks in advance for inputs on this.

ever having been read.