How to reposition the K desktop unlocking widget?

  Hi all --

  I've recently set up a Debian system for a colleague with
an NVidia video card that can do dual-monitors.

  This was spectacularly easy to set up with "TwinView", it
seemed to automatically get most things right, with two
exceptions.

  The KDM log-in widget and the kdesktop_lock unlocking
widget are centered in the "virtual desktop", which means
there's half of them on each monitor.

  I fixed the KDM thing by adjusting the "GreeterPos" datum
in the "X-*-Greeter" section of /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, it's now
centered in the primary monitor.

  But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the
same thing for the unlocking widget.

  There doesn't seem to be any documentation at all.

  It doesn't seem to be settable from the GUI.

  kdesktop_lock has a "--help" that mentions that the app
takes the standard X-style "-geometry" argument, but experimentation
shows that this doesn't control the position of the unlocking widget,
which is not a surprise, since it applies to kdesktop_lock itself,
which presumably runs in the root window.

  It's clear from "strace" that kdesktop_lock gets configuration
data from the ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc file, and also
looks in kdeglobals (same directory) and looks for, but doesn't
find, kdesktop_lockrc (same directory, again).

  Does anyone know if there's a section or variable I can set
in one of these files that controls this?  Or what the legal
entries are for a kdesktop_lockrc file, if I wanted to
build one?  I've never learned much about DCOP, can I query
the thing "live" via DCOP and learn about its options?

  I'd be happy with a referral to the appropriate KDE
mailing list as well, of course.

  I realize this is an aesthetic, rather than functional, issue,
but we sometimes have visitors (from funding agencies, even) in
our lab, and it would be nice if the computers could convey a
sense of professionalism, to them and to us.

  Oh, and it's a Debian "etch" x86_64 system running KDE 3.5.

					-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net