Re: Sound But No Sound

Thomas H. George wrote:

> Sound: alsaplayer plays cd's & totem plays videos.  alsamixer adjusts
> volume.
>
> No Sound: Audacity has no input control - input options are determined
> by the sound card so presumably Audacity doesn't see the sound card.
> Neither does alsactl.  alsactl names returns nothing and alsactl card0
> says card0 is an unknown command.  less /proc/asound/card0/id returns
> NVidia.
>
> The system is Lenny and Audacity 1.3.5-beta was installed with apt-get.
> Since this is a beta version perhaps the problem is an Audacity bug but,
> if so, what is alsactl's problem.
>
> Any suggestins?
>
> Tom
Open audacity and look in the Preferences->Audio I/O and see which device
Audacity is using. In my Audacity it defaults to OSS:/dev/dsp in which case
I have to manually load the snd_pcm-oss module (using modprobe).
Alternatively you can click on the arrows to the right of the device drop
down menu and it may give you a choice to use your alsa device rather than
oss. Either move should sort out the sound problems.
Cheers,
Jonathan