Re: apt-get - problem configuring /etc/apt/sources.list

"Vwaju" wrote:

> With a little help from my friends, I'm teaching myself networking by
> building an internet server.  I am running Debian Linux 3.1

I would upgrade to Debian 4 (Etch) via Internet by doing these steps:
1.) apt-get clean
2.) replace your /etc/apt/sources.list with this:
  deb     http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch         main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch         main contrib non-free
  deb     http://security.debian.org/  etch/updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/  etch/updates main contrib non-free
3.) apt-get update
4.) apt-get upgrade
5.) reboot      (required because kernel gets replaced)
6.) apt-get dist-upgrade
7.) reboot      (optional)

Now your system is up-to-date.

TIP: You should have a second terminal open and save a copy
of your important config files (the upgrader will tell you which
user-modified cfg files should be upgraded).

But before doing the above steps consult the
official release notes, for example here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

(If you want, you can even continue upgrading to Debian 5 (lenny)
by replacing "etch" with "lenny" above and repeating the steps...
But Debian 5 is not yet released, it is in "testing" state.)