du (was Re: octal dump)

On 11/22/08 06:14, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
[snip]

Thanks for the replies Ron, Mike and others.  I guess I understand use
of od now (although that du puzzle is still with me).

From the top of the man page DESCRIPTION:
"Summarize disk usage of each FILE, recursively for directories."

The 2nd argument:
   --apparent-size
          print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage; although
          the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be larger
          due  to holes in (`sparse') files, internal fragmenta-
          tion, indirect blocks, and the like

What about that puzzles you?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!