Re: Cannot configure Synaptics touchpad - Requires SHMConfig

I think you have to add the following to your xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Server Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "Core Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad" "Core Pointer"
EndSection

At least, for me I had to add this before it would work. Then you can
run gsynaptics and configure it

Sebastian Canagaratna