Re: resolv.conf issues

This message has been sent twice.  Resending it after changing the Subject to see if spam filters are hitting me.  Was Re: dynamic resolv.conf issues.

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 19:41 -0700, green wrote:
> On Tue, 2008.11.18, 323, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Lenny, I am not running that tool.  What is overwriting my
> > resolv.conf and how do I keep the correct data while using static IP?
>
> Is the 'resolvconf' package installed?  If so, the resolvconf(8) man page
> outlines how to include nameservers in /etc/network/interfaces.

Interesting.  THIS box does not have dns-nameservers x.x.x.x in
interfaces, it is Lenny, updated to current and does not suffer from
this problem.

I have never installed that dns- line in interfaces before.

This box (call it A):

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.200.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1
auto eth0

damon@dam-main:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain damtek.org
search damtek.org
nameserver 68.87.68.162
nameserver 68.87.74.162
nameserver 68.87.64.196

The bad box (call it B)

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.200.18
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1
auto eth0

damon@dam-secondary:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.200.1

------------------

Both run current Lenny.  A pulls it's dns from what looks like my home
router.  B does not.  I might have put that dns info there in the past,
but if so, it does not get overwritten.  I still don't know what is
overwritting my B box resolv.conf or why my A box does not suffer from
the same fate.

The post about man resolvconf points to a solution, but I would like to
know what is really going on that both boxes are not effected.

btw, I tried man resolv.conf NOT man resolvconf.  Good info that, does
not explain what is going on between these two boxes, but does show how
to fix it once and for all.

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>