Re: accessing wlan without non-free firmware?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:00:56 +0200
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe" <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I struggled to get 4965 wireless working on my TravelMate 6592, and
> succeeded only once having installed firmware-iwlwifi from non-free.
> Is there a way to achieve this without going the non-free route?
>
> Here's the relevant line from "lspci -v":
>
> 06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
> AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
> 	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1101
> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 218
> 	Memory at c8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
> 	Capabilities: <access denied>
> 	Kernel driver in use: iwl4965
> 	Kernel modules: iwl4965

I'm guessing it's a mini-pci, although it doesn't make a difference.

That card will not work without the non-free firmware. If you don't want to use
non-free firmware you need to buy a card that doesn't require firmware.