Re: How to send tunes to MP3 player?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 06:40:52PM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote the following on 11/16/2008 05:28 PM:

>>> Michael, et al,
>>>
>>> The device is a Sandisk model Sansa Clip. On Windows it works with
>>> Windows Media Player with no special software or tools so I would
>>> guess that there should be something similar in linux that it would
>>> work with.
>>>
>>> TNX,
>>> Dennsi
>>>

>> Have you tried just simply mounting the device and looking through the
>> filesystem? There is most likely a directory named music with mp3s in
>> them.
>>
> Yes. There isn't. There are a few directories, but nothing shows in them
> that are MP3s. I know there are songs on the device so I don't want to
> try and risk the chance of wiping out what is there.
>
> Music Player comes up when I plug in the device but even though it shows
> the device It isn't accessible, either to playback or load.

Before doing anything, make sure the firmware is at it's newest version.
Apparently the update application is only available for Windows,
although you could try it in Wine. Once you have updated the firmware
try this while in the root directory of your device;

cat "audio_folders=MUSIC/,RECORD/" > .is_audio_player

Then make a directory called MUSIC to dump your music, and if it already
exists just place your mp3s there.

--
    Follow my Tweets at http://twitter.com/pobega

AIM:BlockMeHarder MSN:pobega@gmail.com JIM:pobega@jaim.at