Re: /var/log growing rapidly

On 11/17/08 21:05, Paul Cartwright wrote:
I don't know what changed, but I think an update must have changed a parameter or something. there are a bunch of log files that are now growing lots faster * bigger than they were 2 days ago: messages, kern.log, daemon.log, syslog. see:
:/var/log# ls -l mess*
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 103306889 2008-11-17 21:53 messages
[snip]
-rw-r----- 1 root adm        234861 2008-11-16 08:05 syslog.1.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm   34629008 2008-11-17 07:53 syslog.0
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  106372318 2008-11-17 21:54 syslog

how do I turn down these logs??

First, "tail -f /var/log/messages" to see exactly what all the new log entries are. That should point you towards the offender.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!