Re: octal dump

On 11/17/08 10:54, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
Hello,

I was trying to understand octal dumps today that can be obtained
using od.  But two questions cropped up:

1. When would an octal dump be useful?  Surely not in perusing text
   files?!

Nowadays? Hardly ever, if at all. But the PDP-7, which Unix was created on, was an 18-bit system, which is divisible by 3, which is how many bits an octal number represents.

>          And when people say they use octal (or hex) dump to check
>    and edit binary files, how do they learn to do so?

????

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!