Re: How to delete rouge files created under msdos?

On 11/16/08 18:54, ze phyr wrote:
Hello list,

A rouge script created many directories with a file name

"you.cant.delete..\"    (the quote marks are not part of the file name).

Now, I can delete them under pure DOS first by using  dir /x to
identify them, and then using rd to remove them.

But it is very hard to delete files created like this under Linux.

1. The appear like a directory. But when I list it, the system says it
can't find the file.
2. Tried to delete it using its inode number, but its inode constantly
increase by one every time it is listed. find command can't see them
either.
3. Of course rm -rf didn't work either.

how can I delete this rouge file wicked name under Linux? By the way,
how to create files like this?

$ touch you.cant.delete..\\
$ dir you.cant.delete*
-rw-r--r-- 1 me me 0 2008-11-16 19:36 you.cant.delete..\

Note how I escaped the backslash.

$ rm you.cant.delete..\\
removed `you.cant.delete..\\'
$ dir you.cant.delete*
ls: cannot access you.cant.delete*: No such file or directory

Since \ is the "escape character", any time you want to use a backslash as a backslash, you must escape it.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!