Re: udev causing data loss?

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:42:52AM -0700, ghe wrote:

> At the time of my misadventure, I was still expecting sda to be the
> lowest ID on the lowest SCSI bus -- there were no SATAs at the time, not
> around here anyway.

That is what I would expect. Are you saying that there is no way to
tell which disk is which one from the device names?

If that is true, how does the user, how does the system know which
disk is which one? As user, I can eventually tell with fdisk -l and
looking at the info --- *if* the disks are all different. But how does
the system figure out if the device refered to in /etc/fstab is
actually the device that should be refered to?

It seems I need to read up on this. Is there a good document that
explains it?