Re: dpkg -i from within postinst script

Le Jeu 13 novembre 2008 11:27, Tzafrir Cohen a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:55:09AM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
>> I work for a company that uses a specific java build - we are only
>> allowed to download it from a specific internal site, that is
>> authenticated.
>> I have written a package that downloads and builds it into a deb
>> (using make-jpkg + extra definitions) as part of the postinst script.
>> I would like it to install the package too, however everything i have
>> tried doesnt work

You can not do that. It means that your package will rebuild the child
package everytime it is installed ??? Furthermore, where a package (yours)
is installing, the dpkg/apt database is locked to prevent another dpkg/apt
from modifying it. So you will not be able to do such a strange thing.

You should prepare a source package which use uscan or uupdate to check
for new version availlability. So, you just have to rebuild the package
each time the upstream release a new version. And push it in an intern
repository (instead of your current package).

If you can not embed the Java in your package (as Flash, for example),
your package will only download and install the Java files in the postinst
script and remove theses files in the prerm script.

Your problem is not different than all the packages built upon upstream
(non-debian) sources.

Regards
Fanfan
--