Re: how to change date of system

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> lee wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:31:07 +0530
>> Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious, what is the reason for setting BIOS time to GMT instead
>>> of localtime? It is simpler using localtime when I have wake on RTC
>>> alarm enabled.
>>
>> It's supposed to make it easier to deal with daylight saving times.
>
> How?
>
> I have set my BIOS clock to local time mainly because I run a dual boot
> machine (Windows and Linux). For me, day light saving time changes occur
> seamlessly (Debian Testing, but I don't it matters which distro is being
> used).

How do you prevent both Linux and Windows from attempting to correct the time
for DST, and ending up an hour out? Do you just tell one of them not to change
the clock, and live with it being wrong until you boot into the other one?

Personally I find that so annoying that I set my HW clock to GMT and live with
the time being wrong in Windows for 6 months out of the year (actually I bought
a clock and put it next to my computer. Seriously).

If Windows understood that the hardware clock is in GMT then both OSes would be
able to apply their own offsets without worrying about having to change the
clock.

> To the OP, as far as I know, practically it makes sense to set the BIOS
> to local time in the case where your machine also boots in to Windows.

I have personally found no solution to the problem of having to use DST (which
I hate), and dual-boot with an operating system that expects the hardware clock
to be local time (which I also hate).

-Nye