Re: Cannot upgrade kernel

--- On Wed, 11/12/08, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> From: Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>
> Subject: Re: Cannot upgrade kernel
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 9:59 AM
> On 2008-11-12 15:17 +0100, Brian Kimsey-Hickman wrote:
>
> > I have been going around in circles on this.  I am
> trying to upgrade
> > my kernel from 2.2.20 to the current stable kernel
> 2.6.18.  When I run
> > aptitude I get a glibc error because it needs at least
> a 2.4.1 kernel
> > to install but the new kernel won't install
> without the new glibc.
>
> You need to upgrade your kernel before you can upgrade to
> etch.  Replace
> your ancient woody kernel with a newer one from sarge.
>
> > Anyone know a way around this so I can to get the
> kernel upgraded?
>
> Download a sarge kernel, e.g. this one:
> http://archive.debian.net/sarge/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686
> and all its
> dependencies.  Install the packages with dpkg -i, update
> your bootloader
> and reboot.
>
> If you run into dependency problems, point your
> sources.list to sarge:
>
> deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
>
> Then, after "apt-get update" you can install a
> sarge kernel without
> problems.
>
> Sven
>

> --

Thanks.  I probably should have followed that advice.  What I ended up doing was copying an old 2.4.18 kernel from a similar system.  Edited lilo.conf and ran lilo and believe it or not got the system to boot.  Then I ran aptitude dist-upgrade and it took.  I could hardly believe it.  Most definitely not the preferred method but I got lucky in this case.

Thanks everyone for you input.

Brian