Re: Cannot upgrade kernel

On 2008-11-12 15:17 +0100, Brian Kimsey-Hickman wrote:

> I have been going around in circles on this.  I am trying to upgrade
> my kernel from 2.2.20 to the current stable kernel 2.6.18.  When I run
> aptitude I get a glibc error because it needs at least a 2.4.1 kernel
> to install but the new kernel won't install without the new glibc.

You need to upgrade your kernel before you can upgrade to etch.  Replace
your ancient woody kernel with a newer one from sarge.

> Anyone know a way around this so I can to get the kernel upgraded?

Download a sarge kernel, e.g. this one:
http://archive.debian.net/sarge/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686 and all its
dependencies.  Install the packages with dpkg -i, update your bootloader
and reboot.

If you run into dependency problems, point your sources.list to sarge:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ sarge main

Then, after "apt-get update" you can install a sarge kernel without
problems.

Sven