Windows to Debian secure data transfer over internet

Hello,

I am in a situation where a friend of mine wants to send tons of photos
to me. Internet connection being what it is regarding stability, I am
aiming to a method where the photos' transfer can be resumed if the
connection breaks and is recreated.

Keeping security in mind, I am thinking of asking him to send them over
to my machine, running Debian Testing, over SSH once I create an account
for him (we do not want to go for mailing a DVD if we can help it).

Now I wanted to know what is the best way to go about this. He is not a
computer savvy and does not use Linux. Otherwise I would have just asked
him to send it over rsync via ssh.

For now what I have in mind is this:
1. Ask him to make archive volumes of the data, say 10 MB each.
2. Ask him to install the GUI scp client on his windows box.
3. Create account for him on my Debian router machine.
4. Ask him to start scp transfer of those volumes. They may number 300
in all (around 3GB of data).
5. If the connection breaks, he can know right away which was the last
volume being transfered and can resume from there.

His upload speed is around 460 kbps. For 3GB of data, we are talking
around 14 hours needed for the transfer.

Any other suggestions or useful advice?

I also thought of asking him to install cygwin to get SSH and rsync, but
I do not want to complicate this further for him. However, if there is a
package for Windows which install the minimal packages needed for ssh
and rsync and is easy to install, that could be an option.

Thanks,
->HS

ever having been read.