Re: Phone App

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:42:23 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> I need a little app that will let me dial out and answer the phone
> using a voice/speakerphone modem to a normal (Luddite) telephone
> line. What I have found seems to be either dialers (minicom works)
> and voicemail/answering- machine programs (vgetty, tkvoice, ivm). I
> voicemail with have that with the phone company. I simply want to be
> able to use my headset as a normal, old- fashioned talk and listen
> telephone.

Well, either you want to use your phone line and phone for phoning or
your internet connection, a headset and your computer. For the latter,
check out ekiga and the like.

You can dial phone numbers with a modem, then pick up the phone and
have the modem hang up to take over (check out minicom and the
documentation of your modem), depending on how your phone and modem are
connected. If you want to use a headset, you should be able to get one
for phoning that connects to your phone (line).

Other than that, you should be able to connect a soundcard to the phone
line, and maybe it's possible to use a headset on a second soundcard
and some software that transfers the sound from one card to the other.
If you have tone dialing, you could record the tone the phone produces
for each number and play these soundfiles in the appropriate order on
the soundcard that is connected to the phone line to dial. That would
be an interesting way to do it ... :)