Re: alternative to brightside

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:46:24 -0600
"Stackpole, Chris" <CStackpole@barbnet.com> wrote:

> I know there is a compiz plugin that is similar, but I don't remember
> which one it is. I didn't care for it so I disabled it early on...

Hm, compiz doesn't have seemless desktop switching built in either?
Every window manager that has virtual desktops should have that built
in. What's the point of those desktops when you can't switch easily?

> Of course that plugin does require you to be running compiz...

Well, I tried that. I installed compiz and it didn't appear in gdm as a
session I could select. I made a session file for that, but no matter
if I don't use gdm and start compiz from my .xinitrc or with gdm, all
it shows is a black screen. Maybe I'll go back to enlightenment ...

Still I'd like to try compiz. What did I do wrong that compiz only shows
a black screen? No menues, nothing, no window decorations ... but it
seems to be running.