Re: Switching from Etch to Lenny - help me assess the risk.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> When you run testing (and keep it updated), you don't need to worry
> about making the leap from one stable release to the next. That was

I ran etch when it was still testing, then kept it at testing for
sometime until I got a new box, and put Ubuntu on that. I also have a
sidux set up to run in a Virtual box. I don't recall too many problems
with etch, even when it was testing, except that the xfree86 to xorg
conversion was a bit hairy.

> the reason for me to run testing on mailservers at work, rather than
> stable.

I also ran my own mail server (postfix) on etch and lenny for some time.

> The only problem I had with testing was when they switched from
> XFree to Xorg a few years ago and the fonts were messed up after an

I was helping to update a friends (old) p3 box that ran an old version
of etch, needed a bunch of security updates and kde and some other
stuff installed last night. I got all the updates installed except for
two things - open office (not sure he'll be using it, he wanted squid
set up primarily) and there were some errors about not being able to
access or write some font directories. Not sure how significant they
are, and I don't have the machine in front of me or easy access to it.

But as I recall, there wasn't too big of a headache going from etch
(stable) to lenny (testing) after April 2007 when Etch became stable.
But I waited a bit before switching to lenny, and think it is a good
idea while all the initial stuff gets to quiet down a bit following an
initial plunge into a new testing release.