Re: Software For Book Writing

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 06:30:07PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> I think you can use a versioning system to merge latex files (since they
> are plain text)  Editing a LaTex file is straight-forward for anybody
> with half a clue.

That is a bit unfair. TeX/LaTeX is not that straight-forward and has a
rather steep learning curve. (Still wondering how to put "[1]" (without
the quotes) in a plain text TeX file.)

If you need to buy a book, or peruse copious amounts of documentation to
achieve what seems like a simple task, it is not straight-forward.

If I was going to write a book I would use LaTeX though, probably buying
a book (or two) and perusing copious amounts of documentation in the
process.

--
Chris.
======