ffmpeg library mess

I am new to Debian, and when I set up my machine there were some things I did
the same way I used to do them, not the 'Debian Way'.

Now I may be paying for it, because my ffmpeg is kinda fuxored.

I need to use ffmpeg from svn with support for x264, and previously I have
installed to /usr instead of /usr/local, so I did the same now on Debian.

Recently I was trying to get ffmpegthumbnailer working and so had to rebuild
ffmpeg with --enable-swscale and --enable-shared, but then I started getting
this:

'libx264.so.65: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'

I asked on the ffmpeg mailing list about how to get around this, and was
advised to rebuild ffmpeg to look for the x264 lib in /usr/local, which got
rid of that error but left me with:

ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.52: undefined symbol:
av_lfg_init

I did some searching on that error, and found that it was probably a result
of conflicting libraries, at least according to this post on a Suse mailing
list:

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/multimedia/396113-usr-lib-libavcodec-so-52-undefined-symbol-av_lfg_init.html

Quote:

"that means that his libavcodec.so library was compiled against a libavutil.so
with the symbol... but he has a different libavutil.so version installed, one
without the symbol.

From the output of "rpm -qf" we can see he had libavcodec from Packman and
libavutil (previously contained in libffmpeg0) from Videolan. Once he installed
both libraries from the same repo everything started to work."

Indeed, when I look at what packages I have installed:

libavcodec0d
libavcodec51
libavformat52
libavutil49

...which are also provided by ffmpeg.

The response from the ffmpeg mailing list was that indeed it looked like it was
a conflict with packaged libraries that are also intalled by the ffmpeg from
svn.

Before I make an even more unholy mess of this, I wonder if someone can give
some guidance in what steps I can take to correct this.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Joe