Re: Debian Etch Installation. Root password doesn't works, why?

Hi again, well, it's very strange, i start the system in single mode and it ask for a root password, AND the password works!

I reboot but when i type the new password that i have put for the root, it's doesn't works (the old password still doesn't works neither). I have tested everything: modify etc/shadow, livecd: mount the partition in a folder and type "chroot folder" for change the password, use /bin/bash (my keyboard doesn't type correctly the "=" and i can't write "init=bin/bash".

I am almost desesperate. What could i do? How i type "=" in the shell?

Than you very much, i appreciate your help.

2008/11/8 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il>
On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 11:53:17AM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> make sure the keyboard works normally. Try typing a few minutes with a live
> CD.
>
> You can reset the password by:
>
> appending "init=/bin/bash" to boot parameter
>
> remount root directory
> # mount -o remount,rw /
>
> reset root's password
> # passwd root

Mount it read-only again (arrow up to get previous lines)
# mount -o remount,ro /

Continue with standard boot sequence:
# exec /sbin/init

Two things to note:

1. if you just changed the password and pulled the plug, changes were
probably not saved. mounting read-only is normally a good way to see
that the changes are saved.

2. The exec trick works because the shell is process no. 1. Thus if you
exec /sbin/init in the same process it knows it is THE init process, and
not a telinit(8).

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's