Re: Debian Etch Installation. Root password doesn't works, why?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 22:02:45 +0000, Manuel Gómez wrote:
> Hi, i am on Debian Etch since january, but when i have installed the last
> release of Debian Etch (last month) the root password doesn't works. No
> matter how many times i try, it says "password incorrect. So, I reinstalled
> the OS four times and its says the same.
>
> Why this happens? What could i do?

Which keyboard layout do you use? Make sure that all the keys really
work, especially for the characters used in your password. I bring this
up because I have recently seen the uppercase "E" not working correctly
in a newly-installed Lenny system with the Spanish keymap. This lead to
the user not being able to log in on the ttys, and with the password not
being echoed we did not immediately realize what the reason was. (We
fixed this by installing console-setup and kbd to configure the keyboard
for the ttys.)

          Florian   |