Re: Lenny install SATA+RAID1+LVM

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:39:47AM -0600, M.Lewis wrote:

> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:40:04AM -0600, M.Lewis wrote:
> >>I'm installing Lenny on a machine with a pair of 80GB SATA drives. I
> >>want to do a RAID1 during the install. Apparently this is not possible
> >>using the graphical install. Or else I have over looked it.
> >>
> >>Is there a HOWTO somewhere describing this process? Google and searching
> >>the archives have produced several articles, all of which were dated
> >>back in 2005, or else they dealt with IDE hard drives.
> >>

> >I did it with the Etch installer but I've never used the graphical
> >install.  Why not use the curses installer?
> >
> The curses installer is fine. Still I need a HOWTO though.\

Have you printed out the installation manual (the whole thing, not the
short instructions)?

In the partitioner section, you first make the raw partitions you want,
then when you mark what to use those partitions for, you say that they
are physical devices for raid1 (I'm going from memory here).  Then you
configure the md (raid) devices.  I'd suggest that you just have the two
raid1 partitions and put LVM over top of that.  On Etch, grub couldn't
boot from LVM so you needed a small raid1 to mount as /boot with
everything else in a larger raid1 with LVM over top.

If you go the LVM root, you mark the md1 (assuming md0 is raid1 for
/boot) as physical device for LVM.  Then you configure LVM and create
the logical volumes you need (e.g. /, /home, /var, /usr, swap).  Of
course if you want any of that encrypted (e.g. /tmp, swap, /home) you
can do that too.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Doug.