Re: Software For Book Writing

On 7-nov-2008, at 2:04, TW wrote:

Hi,

	I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not
sure what software to use to write it.

	I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want
to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s).
The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be
able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for
certain people to download (underagers, for instance).  I thought
that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure.  I thought
DocBook, but isn't that for documentation?  I need something that
goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes,
etc.).  Thanks for the help.

You might also want to look into ReST, part of docutils:

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

It is by far the most readable and simple markup language I know. It's a intuitive human readable plain text formatting that doubles as a markup. It will do footnotes, TOC etc. and can be parsed to PDF, HTML and tex. Like others pointed out, once you've got tex you can spice it up further if needed and parse it into various other formats. I use ReST for all my documentation, notes etc. and it never failed me.

Peter