Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

Michael,

] I am looking for a very slim desktop manager.
] The system looking for is a 486 166MHz with 64MB Ram.
] I only want to run one or two small applications.

One of my ThinkPads is circa 2000 system that's 266 MHz with 128 MB
RAM. I run Xfce on it with tolerable responsiveness and yet an excellent
feature set.

I once saw a post that characterized window managers this way, when I
was searching for a lightweight one:

    http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/mailarchive/9912/msg00131.html

    Heavy: Gnome (Enligthenment), KDE, CDE
    Medium: Window Maker, Black Box
    Medium Light: xfce, qvwm
    Light: fvwm, fvwm95
    Eating Disorder: twm

    xfce is the smallest you can get and still have things like Gnome
    compliance and easy add-on-the-fly-with-a-mouse menu options, mouse
    preferences etc... Everything qvwm and below starts to sacrifice
    features.

    Have you nuked things like portmap, lpd, sendmail, esound, etc...
    assuming you don't use them on your laptop.

Good luck,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund   | Ixian Systems           | Jab: eadixian@jabber.org/main