Re: ALSA not loading at system boot

2008/11/5 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> [ I am putting the discussion back on the list. ]
>
> Forwarded message from Vinicius Massuchetto:
>> Florian Kulzer escreveu:

>>> Which application do you use to test that?
>>
>> Rhythmbox and Totem. I tried speaker-test once with the same results in
>> this thread.
>
> OK, so we know that the problem is not limited to desktop applications;
> it seems to be a general issue with ALSA.
>
>> All these applications behave as they were playing something, but no
>> sound comes off. Everything seems to be a volume problem, but all the
>> channels are always unmutted.
>
> You can do this:
>
> amixer > before.txt
>
> before you run alsaconf and afterwards you run
>
> amixer > after.txt
>
> and compare the mixer settings with
>
> diff -u before.txt after.txt
>
> to make sure that the difference is not due to some semi-obscure control
> that you overlooked.

> [...]
>
>>> Run "lsof $(find /dev/ -group audio)" to see if there are any
>>> applications or sound daemons blocking the sound devices.
>>
>> This command returns nothing just after system boot.
>> Only after alsaconf I can hear the 'speaker-test' sound.
>
> Please post the output of the following commands (before you run
> alsaconf):
>
> cat /dev/sndstat
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
>
> grep '.*' /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/*
>
> It would furthermore be interesting to know if the output of the last
> one (the module parameters) changes after you run alsaconf.

do "lsmod>before" then run "alsaconf" and then run "lsmod>after". Now
do "diff before after" and post the results

I found I had snd_pcsp module loading badly which was causing problems
for sound - the reason it was loading badly was because
/etc/modprobe.conf had been created and wasn't loading
/etc/modprobe.d/*
I solved my problem by moving /etc/modprobe.conf out of the way...

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: anton@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.