From: John Hasler [mailto:jhasler@debian.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:01 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: When stability is pointless

Koh Choon Lin writes:
> It seems to me the cleanest form of manual package management is still
> the old DOS style. All the files of a single program lies in one
> directory

Each with its own copy of all its dependencies, including libc and all other
libraries it calls and all the programs and daemons it uses such as dbus and
hal.  Sure.  And then when there is a critical update to libc or some other
widely-used thing you get to upgrade every package on your system, one at a
time, as the maintainers get new packages ready.  You have the fun of
downloading each of those dependencies hundreds of times and finding space
for them all.

Why not give each package its own kernel while you are at it?
--
John Hasler