Re: how to disable unused sound chip

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 18:07 +0200, Juha Tuuna wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > How to I use udev (and hotplug?) to disable this unused ATI sound chip
> > and to select my onboard Nvidia sound chip?
>
> Try /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> Add the ATI module to the list, that should do it.
>
> --
> Juha Tuuna

Juha,

Yes, that worked.  Just to make a close loop, I am posting what I did
here:

lsmod did not show any ati driver for anything, but did show
snd_ha_intel and since I know I am not running an intel sound chip and
the sound device is listed as ATI HA with lspci, I ran rmmod
snd_ha_intel and I had sound.

I added "blacklist snd_ha_intel" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
rebooted.  It came up with sound, and my selected "sound device" for
gkrellm volume was still active (previously, gkrellm would not have any
volume controls after a reboot).

Thanks!

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>