how to disable unused sound chip

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3450

That is my video card, running non-free drivers for it just fine.
Unfortunately this card also has a

Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx
Series]

Which is unused by both the card (no audio output on the video card) and
myself, which is detected and selected as an audio device at boot.

Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev a2) <--this is my MB sound chip which is used by me.

My bios does not allow me to set anything but disable the onboard sound
card.

How to I use udev (and hotplug?) to disable this unused ATI sound chip
and to select my onboard Nvidia sound chip?

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>