Re: tardy sarge to etch upgrade proceedure

On 2008-11-03 15:42 +0100, Mark Copper wrote:

> I, ahem, need to upgrade oldstable to stable, but I cannot update my
> current oldstable system, no longer supported as it is.  How important is
> it to do that before upgrading?

Not very much.  However you should be able to do this, if you replace
your current entry pointing to sarge (or oldstable) in your sources.list
with this one:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

> I have not used aptitude on this system before.  How important is that?

Quite important, aptitude is the recommended package manager in etch.
For its advantages over apt-get see the following summary by a leading
Debian developer:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg03138.html¹;.

> It would be nice to run the upgrade through the screen program.  Is it
> possible to apt-get install screen after apt-get update with etch
> sources but before running upgrade?

Probably, but you should also be able to install screen before the
upgrade if you put the above line into your sources.list.

> Finally, in order to patch a hardware driver, the kernel is custom
> compiled.  That means the kernel will not be upgraded, but that new
> sources will be downloaded.  Right?

If you want to build a custom kernel, install the linux-source-2.6.18
package.  It will not be automatically installed, since there is no
metapackage to track the latest kernel sources, AFAIK.

> Any pointers to post-support documentation or mail-list threads would be
> appreciated.

Be sure to read the release notes at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes.  They are the most
accurate and extensive source of information there is.

Sven

¹ Although Joey wrote this message three years before the etch release,
  all his points are still valid in etch.