Re: Electricity Cutoffs, EXT3 and Filesystems

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> writes:
> The short answer is going to be, work on getting more UPSes, and
> consider some type of longer-term (but still temporary) power source,
> like a Diesel generator.
>
> If you have any diagnostics at all, post a summary here.  Someone may
> see something to do.  Also, fstab file and perhaps the contents of any
> custom init scripts you use, or even your menu.list from
> /boot/grub. Anything that may give someone a clue.

Besides system setup information I sent to Andrei, in all servers /boot
is located at /dev/sda2 and formatted with ext2 filesystem.

> ReiserFS will work for a while, but unless they find some new,
> long-term upstream maintainers, it will eventually not be feasible to
> use it.

I really wonder the future of ReiserFS. I don't follow kernel related
improvements (and discussions) that much, but I still don't have a
reliable information about the development issues with ReiserFS.
Somebody is saying something, and another one is duplicating it --
without giving a single grain of thought -- to others and so on. But
AFAIK, there still isn't any official (you know what I mean by
_official_) explanation related with ReiserFS. Yep, Hans Reiser did some
nasty things. But would development of Linux stop if Linus Torvalds gets
in some sort of trouble, e.g. arrested?

> Better to make the switch now, starting with new hardware. I still
> like ext3 for now, and ext "4" is coming along nicely, I hear, it may
> be a good choice at some point.  (But not right now.)

I dunno. I still think EXT3 as an ancient technology supported by major
IT companies. And people tend to swim in the direction of the flow, no
matter if it's right or wrong.

Regards.