Re: Electricity Cutoffs, EXT3 and Filesystems

Am 2008-11-03 12:00:03, schrieb Volkan YAZICI:
> I really wonder the future of ReiserFS. I don't follow kernel related
> improvements (and discussions) that much, but I still don't have a
> reliable information about the development issues with ReiserFS.
> Somebody is saying something, and another one is duplicating it --
> without giving a single grain of thought -- to others and so on. But
> AFAIK, there still isn't any official (you know what I mean by
> _official_) explanation related with ReiserFS. Yep, Hans Reiser did some
> nasty things. But would development of Linux stop if Linus Torvalds gets
> in some sort of trouble, e.g. arrested?

This is NOT the same, since ReiserFS was generaly developed by  ONE  KEY
PERSON "Hans Reiser" where the Linux  Kernel  itself  has  several  1000
contributors which can take over at any time...

Of course, ReiserFS is only a small part of  the  Kernel  and  they  are
enough other FileSystems...

> > Better to make the switch now, starting with new hardware. I still
> > like ext3 for now, and ext "4" is coming along nicely, I hear, it may
> > be a good choice at some point.  (But not right now.)
>
> I dunno. I still think EXT3 as an ancient technology supported by major
> IT companies. And people tend to swim in the direction of the flow, no
> matter if it's right or wrong.

Even with ext3 and powerfails I have had never problems with it...

Do you have seperated partitions for

    1)  Operating System
    2)  /tmp
    3)  /var/log
    4)  Data

On my production server, I have partitions like:

sda1	 1000 MB	Rescue system		READ ONLY
sda2	 4000 MB	SWAP
sda3	10000 MB	/tmp

sda5	 2000 MB	Production 1 /		READ ONLY
sda6	 2000 MB	Production 1 /var/log
sda7	 2000 MB	Production 2 /		READ ONLY
sda8	 2000 MB	Production 2 /var/log

If the system goes down and I was in "Production 1" I boot  automaticaly
the next time into "Production 2" which is a copy of "Production 1"  and
I can check "Production 1" without any problems...

And if "Production 2" fails for any reason, I can boot automaticaly into
"Rescue" for recovery...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)